Licensed mentor program
The licensed mentor program enables a licensee to work with schools using the Balanced System® Scheme for Schools development framework and online tools. Licensed mentors can use the Balanced System® Scheme for Schools as a quality assurance framework, which is externally accredited, or as a suite of development tools for a school wishing to enhance it’s existing provision for children and young people’s speech, language and communication skills and needs.
Following the licensed mentor training, the mentor can work with any number of schools. Licensed mentor status is subject to annual renewal requirements to ensure standards for schools using the Balanced System® Scheme for Schools.
As a licensed mentor you will receive:
- 1 full day training session with quarterly online network discussion
- Access to a suite of online tools using the Balanced System® framework. These will support you and your schools in achieving child focused outcomes and developing a school’s provision for children’s speech, language and communication development and those with SLCN
- Free upgrades to online tools
- Up to 2 hours of telephone and online support for every four month period
- Annual Balanced System® update training as part of the annual renewal process – following the initial two year period
- Use of ‘The Balanced System® Scheme for Schools’ in the title of the support you deliver
- Your details will be advertised on the Better Communication CIC website
- No limit to the number of schools you can use the scheme with
Licensed mentor skills and requirements
To become a licensed mentor you MUST:
- Be a qualified speech and language therapist, or a qualified teacher with experience of working with children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Have experience of working with and in schools and be able to demonstrate knowledge of the challenges and opportunities of meeting the needs of children with SEN and SLCN in school
- Be confident in using IT and online materials
- Have experience of mentoring; this could be either as a mentor or mentee
The process for becoming a licensed mentor involves:
- Providing Better Communication CIC coordinator with a background to your knowledge, skills and qualifications in supporting children and young people with SLCN
- Making the required payment to Better Communication CIC
- Registering for and completing session one of the training program
- Receiving written notification of licensed mentor status
- Completing all of these tasks within a four month period (unless otherwise agreed in writing).
To register your interest in becoming a scheme for schools licensed mentor fill in the enquiry form.